First off, Happy 36th Birthday Neville Longbottom!
As you know, Neville Longbottom, has had as grisly a fate with Voldemort as Harry Potter. It was a prophecy about a child with the power to defeat Voldemort by Professor Trelawney. And set Voldemort to Godric’s Hollow to kill the Potters. Yet there was one other child born around the end of July. But Voldemort singled out Harry thus fulfilling the prophecy.
All throughout the books Harry has had the unwanted fame of defeating Voldemort. Correction, Tom Riddle because he was born as Tom Riddle. While poor Neville, who lives as his grandmother, is almost seen as this pitiable loser. Lucky enough to not be a squibb as his relatives feared.
Well, let me tell you. Neville is no loser. He is just as cool and inspiring as Harry Potter. And a role model to look up to.
- Neville did not let his past or current environment have a negative control over him. His parents were driven insane by the cruciatus curse by Voldemort supporters. Treated as some sort of joke and bullied at school. But he never let any of it become an excuse to be less decent to his fellow men. He did not allow his surroundings to dictate what or who’d become. Most people don’t seem to realize that they’re more than where they come from.
- Even when he was afraid, Neville had the courage to stand up and fight. Even when the fight was one he was not going to win. He was also not afraid to stand up to his friends. Because it was right. Most people are afraid to lose their friends and so don’t speak up when they’re doing something wrong. Most people are cowards, because they remain quiet in the face of injustice.
- Neville was brave. He was one of the first recruits to Dumbledore’s Army. He answered the call again for the battle of Hogwarts. He took his place as its leader in Harry’s absence and led the resistance against the Carrows within the school!
- Neville was strong. He was the first to break free of Voldemort’s spell and pulled out the sword of Gryffindor to kill Nagini! He believed so strongly in Harry’s bravery. The greater good and the fight against Voldemort and everything he stood for. That he was able to break through Voldemort’s, the most powerful wizard in the world, spell. Such was the strength of his conviction!
- Neville was loyal. He not once demanded proof or shunned Harry for alerting about Voldemort’s return. He was a steadfast friend who remained by Harry’s side. Even when he became The Chosen One and became a celebrity again after the battle at the Ministry of Magic. He stood up for Harry when Seamus was giving him a hard time about the night Cedric died. Neville was also one of two people from Dumbledore’s Army who fought together with the Order of the Phoenix. And against the Death Eater’s attack on Hogwarts who were snuck into Hogwarts with Draco’s help.
Oh yes, Neville was one cool and inspiring wizard. Courageous, loyal and with a heart of gold. A Gryffindor through and through.
In what ways have you thought that Neville Longbottom was cool? Why? Do you think that Neville’s character was overshadowed by Harry?